>>how does the drive know if the key it is given is wrong?
There are other options, too. For example, a secure hash of the key
could be stored in the drive for each key scope (a contiguous LBA
range). Alternatively, a public key MAC. This later method has the
advantage that an attacker cannot replace it arbitrarily, even if he
rips up the drive.

It is possible to store a disk key in the drive, which is hard to hack.
It could be in some nonvolatile memory integrated with the crypto
engine. To get it, you have to get inside of a 65…130 nm integrated
circuit, use microelectrodes and try not to damage the circuit. A very
expensive and slow process, which uncovers some secrets for only one
drive. Nevertheless, storing all the keys on disk is not the best
solution.

Laszlo