Laszlo,

I do not want to start a flame war, it is too tiresome. I fully agree
with Shai, but would like to add several observations of my own.

Many of your messages were not answered not because of agreement, but
because of the desire to prevent useless discussions. For example,
discussions of whether the standard applies to flash-based drives in
addition to magnetic media are not productive.

You seem to want to include too much into the standard. Some of what you
are trying to include is colored by your focus on your company products.
This is understandable, but there are other companies around, with
different products and different security targets. Some is colored by
your desire to be able to say that "if you are compliant, you are
secure", which I think is not achievable in a single standard.

As I have written several times before, the compliance with the standard
DOES NOT guarantee security of the system. It is only a building block,
nothing more, nothing less.
Explaining all of the security implications is far beyond anything we
can include in the standard.

Roughly speaking, the goal of the standard is to propose a mode of
encryption that does not expand data and gives some protection against
copy and paste operations from one sector to another. Additional goal is
to specify the parameters that are necessary so that one implementation
will be able to decrypt what was encrypted with another implementation.
Essentially, this is all we can hope to cover.

There are a million attacks that the LRW-AES does not protect against.
There a million ways to make the system compliant with the standard and
at the same time being completely not secure. Explaining these issues is
outside the scope. All we can do is encourage implementers to use common
sense and to try and comply with FIPS/CC.

Hope this message will stop the avalanche of mail messages.

-serge