On May 23, 2006, at 11:58 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Thanks, Gary, for you very thorough review!

I am not a lawyer, either, not even a native English speaker, so I have not attempted to decipher the huge amount of information you link to. I
rely on the judgment of my colleagues, who went through this
export/import control hell, several times. They said, the
classification for the encrypting drives was granted to Seagate,
because the ciphertext is only accessible with very expensive
equipment. I don't know, what classifications we could have got
otherwise.

Hmm interesting...

This means that an encrypting tape drive is a no-no.... Hmmm. DECRU and Neoscale have been exporting these devices... Can you guys help here with some clarifications?

One more point: these laws change. A few years ago, when I worked for
Panasonic, we had even problems to get export permissions for DVD
players. This is one of the reasons of the 40-bit key and very weak
crypto. Because of the terrorist threats, the direction is not towards
relaxing the regulations, so for us the only safe way is to assume the
most restrictive rules, that is, we have to work as if the export was
only allowed, when the ciphertext was not easily accessible.

Laszlo