> > I would be happy to perform the detailed statistical analysis

> They were performed for AES, and we have a proof, that LRW
> does not significantly degrade the pseudorandomness of AES.

I do not know what you mean by "significantly degrades".

Also, please provide this proof.  I'm asking not because
I doubt the sincerity of your statement, but rather
because I want to substandard the claim that is being made.

> If you could find any non-randomness with tests of small
> complexity, it would show that the proof was wrong.

Correct.

> It is very unlikely, so I'd think you wasted your effort.

I cannot determine how likely or unlikely this might be
as I have not examined the proof myself.  Just out of
curiosity, are you saying "very unlikely" because you
have examined the proof?

> Furthermore, it would not improve our confidence in LRW if
> all the tests passed with flying colors, since many very weak
> ciphers pass all known statistical tests, when they encrypt a
> simple counter or their output in a cycle.

Correct, and to be more precise: A neutral entropy signature
result does not imply that the cipher is strong since that
same cipher could have a significant non-statistical flaw.
On the other hand, a definitive entropy signature analysis
signal is a good indicator that the may be serious flaw
in the algorithm.  And a  definitive entropy signature does
not give you much information as to what is wrong.  DES,
for example, has a non-neutral entropy signature when it
comes to uniformity under certain types of compression.  The
DES algorithm, when you ignore the problem of small key size,
remained sound for a very long time.  And the cause of the
uniformity flaw has never been discovered or exploited.

I put AES through a significant battery of entropy signature
tests back when it was a candidate for the final AES round.
I tested all of the candidates and found only one (which was
not the selected AES algorithm) that did not have a neutral
entropy signature.

LRW has not been widely time tested for an extended period
of time.  In fact to some, AES is too recent to be considered
well tested; although I am willing to grant AES time tested
status because I also add the time it spent in the AES
selection process.  I am, however, withholding judgment
on the LRW mode of operation at this time.  So when you say
"our" (referring to your text above), please do not include me
in that group just yet! :-)

So I take it that there is no interest in testing LRW for
the moment.  I sure it will be tested, certainly if/when
it becomes a standard.  For as I said during the last meeting,
it will be us cryptologists and cryptographers that may have
the last judgment and say on the LRW mode.

chongo (Landon Curt Noll) /\oo/\