Folks,

Let us pay attention to some of these P1619 so-called "pink herrings"!

> I have not received any meaningful response to the issue of
> grandma storing her keys on an encrypted drive.  The WG must
> have considered it the first time it came up ...

I have not spoken up until now because I thought a "me too"
message would not add to the discussion until now.

Draft 5, section C.5, 3rd bullet point states:

        * As with most cryptographic algorithms, LRW-AES transform
          should not be used to encrypt its own secret-key.  In
          particular, when using LRW-AES to encrypt its own secret-key
          followed by a block of zeros, it may be possible to deduce
          the last 128 bits of the key from the ciphertext.

        BTW: I believe the cryptological attack might be possible
             if the LRW-AES secret key is also preceded
             by a block of zeros, not just if it is followed by zeros.

I would like to explore how the LRW mode can be improved to mitigate
this problem.

I would also like to explore the possibility of constructing attacks
where the LRW-AES secret-key is preceded or followed by a known and
chosen
non-zero (perhaps a low hamming weight (low number of 1 bits)) block
of data.  I am not convinced that some form of interesting attack with
a low hamming weight block is out of the question.  The more general
problem might be somewhat wider than we suspect.

chongo () /\oo/\
=-=
p.s.    Editorial (rat-hole warning) side note:
Given the level of issues that some people saw in some
bad implementations and mis-uses of CBC mode, I'm still
amazed at how easy LRW passed the working group with this
kind of issue hanging over it.