Off courtTennis: the Parents' Recipe for Success

   - Marco Falbo <emagazine.feedb...@credit-suisse.com>, Journalist

18.09.2013

Lynette Federer spoke about her experiences as the parent of an
exceptionally talented player during a Swiss Tennis panel discussion in
Lausanne. While many parents of tennis players have the dubious reputation
of using any means available to force their children to succeed and wanting
to control every aspect of their development, Lynette and her husband
Robert are living proof that there is another way. Today, they are happy to
pass on their knowledge and experiences with the most successful player in
the history of tennis.
[image: Tennis: the Parents' Recipe for Success]

What role do the parents of promising tennis talents play? This topic is
once again a particularly current one in Switzerland, following Belinda
Bencic's victories in Paris and Wimbledon this summer, making her the top
junior player in the world. Just like Martina Hingis before her, the
16-year-old has the close support of one parent: As her coach and manager,
her father Ivan is always at her side. The family from Uzwil is taking a
very different route than the one Lynette and Robert Federer took with
their son Roger in the '90s. Their recipe for success was to trust in him
and his coaches coupled with unqualified support, a good dose of control,
and knowing when to intervene when necessary.
See also:

   - Robert Federer: An Unquenchable Thirst for
Travel<https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/about-us/sponsorship/roger-federer/news.article.html/article/pwp/news-and-expertise/2013/06/en/robert-federer-an-unquenchable-thirst-for-travel.html>

Support, Discipline, and Control

"I think that we took an approach that was not overly emotional. We didn't
have utopian ambitions, and we tried to keep our expectations realistic,"
says Robert Federer looking back on the early days of his son's tennis
career. "Even though many described him as an extraordinary talent, we did
not view him as having already reached the top of Mount Everest. Most of
all, we wanted to support him. But we were demanding, too, and expected
discipline and commitment." They placed a lot of trust in young Roger from
the start. In the early days, for example, he rode his bicycle from
Münchenstein to Basel to the Old Boys Tennis Club. "We let him live his
life," says the father. "Back then, he and his friends were allowed to play
squash, basketball, soccer, tennis, table tennis..." But even Roger had
rules to follow. It did not go over well with his parents, for instance, if
he wanted to skip a tennis training session. They were also not willing to
put up with his temper, which got the better of him at times. The father
recalls: "Once when he was very young and misbehaving quite badly during
training at Ciba, I handed him a two-franc coin and said: 'You know where
the tram is. You can find your own way home.'"
"Children have to put their hearts and souls into it"

At a panel discussion on parents and tennis organized in Lausanne by Swiss
Tennis during to the national junior championships in July, Lynette Federer
emphasized how important it was that the initiative to play
high-performance sports came from the children themselves. "The children
have to put their hearts and souls into it. They cannot be forced to do it,
not by the mother, the father, the school, or the coach." This was
definitely the case for Roger. Barely 14 years old, it was Roger himself
who decided to attend the Tennis/Etudes development program in Ecublens.
"We had many discussions, of course, and showed him possible paths," says
the father. "But Roger grasped early on what it would take to get to the
top." Roger's mother recalls that because of homesickness, the initial
difficulties with the French language, and the unfamiliar surroundings, the
first three months in the training center were "hell on earth" for the
14-year-old boy. "But he saw it through because he knew what he was doing
it all for."
A Matter of Trust

The fact that Roger's parents succeeded in striking the right balance
between distance, involvement, trust, and control had a lot to do with
intuition. "We let him decide and then we stood behind him," says the
father. Roger recalls that he had always had close contact with his
parents, even though he left Münchenstein at the age of 14."But it was also
important for them to give me space and to trust my coaches. Parents need
distance from the coaches," the 17-time grand slam winner points out. He is
aware that he was able to grow up normally and to get the freedom that he
needed. "But my parents still kept an eye on everything." His mother
Lynette says that she visited only three times in the two years he spent in
Ecublens, "but Robbie stopped by regularly on his business trips, talked to
the coaches, and the educational advisors." For the most part, she only saw
her son on the weekends or at tournaments. "We never challenged his coaches
or discussed much with them," the father confirms. "In contrast to other
families, we almost never replaced anyone. The coaches have to be able to
work in peace. But we probably were lucky in that Roger always had access
to good people."
Learning Sports and Teamwork

Similar to Martina Hingis whose supporting program used to include boxing
in addition to riding and in-line skating, Federer's parents considered it
important that he grow up playing multiple sports. "Back then, he tried all
sports and almost always had a ball with him, even in the sandbox," the
mother said. The former field hockey player considers her son's experiences
playing soccer – a sport he gave up with a heavy heart at age 12 for tennis
– to be especially valuable. "I was very pleased that he played soccer,
too. Team sports are extremely important; children learn to work toward a
common goal and to learn good sportsmanship. That had a big impact on him."
How important team spirit is to him is clear even today in the Davis Cup.
Setting Realistic and Flexible Goals

Although they quickly recognized their son's talent, Federer's parents
remained cautious in setting goals – well aware of everything that can go
wrong on the way to becoming a high-performance athlete. "When he went to
Ecublens, we said that we would give him two years from then," the father
recollects. "He was still among the top 5 or top 10 in Europe at age 16.
Then we said, come on, just two more years. You can always go back to
school at 18 and study something else." When he became the best junior in
the world at 17, they realized: "Now we can let him take the leap; it's no
longer such a huge risk."
Walking a Financial Tightrope

Like most tennis parents, the Federers not only had to invest a great deal
of their free time in the development of their child's sports skills, but
also significant financial resources. "At that time, we spent around 30,000
Swiss francs per year for him ourselves," Robert Federer recalls, although
he is aware that the costs have increased considerably since that time. His
wife was able to work more at Ciba in order to meet these increased
financial needs. However, the financial issue never became a serious
problem, since their son quickly became a breakout star, first as the
number 1 junior player at age 17, and then ranking among the top 100 in the
world at 18, earning more than 200,000 dollars in prize money in that
season. Without a doubt – in addition to everything that they did right –
the Federers were lucky, too. Because for every player who makes it, there
are hundreds, maybe thousands around the world who fall by the wayside
somewhere on the path to the same goal

--
-- NIFTYVIEWS.COM NOW A FREE OPEN SOURCE WEBSITE.

http://www.niftyviews.com/

Disclaimer :-
"The opinions expressed by the members on this board are based on
their individual experience and perceptions and to share information
with other members with the best of intentions to help fellow members
in investment decisions as equity investment is a risky venture.The
administrator of www.Niftyviews.com just provide a platform for the authors to
express their opinion and take no gurantee for the genuineness of the same."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TEAM
STOCKRESEARCHERS" group.
to stockresearcher+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.