Title:

Milosevic conviction far off
Guardian News Service

WHILE SLOBODAN Milosevic has finally been brought to face justice at The Hague, his conviction is by no means assured — despite efforts by hundreds of investigators to amass evidence on Europe's worst slaughter since the Holocaust.

The proceedings at the UN war crimes tribunal could take years, with horrific tales from survivors, wrenching images of skeletons in mass graves with bound wrists and shattered skulls and testimony from major political figures.

Nevertheless, Case No. IT-99-37-I — The Prosecutor against Slobodan Milosevic — could be difficult to prove.

In the apparent absence of signed orders or a lieutenant willing to testify against his former chief, the Milosevic trial faces the test of the legal responsibility of superiors set by the trials of Reich Marshal Hermann Goering and 21 other Hitler henchmen at Nuremberg.

“We are living in a post-Nuremberg era,'' explained Anthony D'Amato, a Northwestern University Law School professor who has represented a Bosnian Serb defendant in The Hague. “Milosevic wasn't stupid enough to say: 'Go out and torture those people.”

The formal trial is months away, but it is already becoming clear that the outcome is likely to hinge on three questions.

l Does the prosecution have a paper trail leading up to the former Yugoslav president?

l Can defence lawyers prove Milosevic tried to prevent atrocities or punish the guilty?

l How stringently will judges interpret the standards that make a leader responsible for atrocities committed by subordinates, even when there is no direct proof he ordered them?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/nonfram/040701/detFOR03.asp

Miroslav Antic,
http://www.antic.org/

STOP NOVOM SVETSKOM PORETKU