Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 1:02 PM
Subject: Kobe Formula: USS "Vincennes"

Five naval ships of the US 7th Fleet made simultaneous visits to four civilian ports in Japan on August 28. They entered the ports of Himeji (Hyogo Prefecture), Wakayama (Wakayama Prefecture), Nagoya  (Aichi Prefecture) and Shimizu (Shizuoka Prefecture).

This was the first visit by US warships to Himeji and Wakayama.

Himeji Port is in the same prefecture as Kobe Port, better known as the Nuclear-free Kobe Formula. Himeji City has also declared itself nuclear free, but the port's authority is the prefectural government, not the city government, while Kobe Port is under the city government's control. The prefectural government, after being urged by citizens, asked the vessel if it respected the three Non-nuclear Principles (not to manufacture, not to possess, not to allow the entry of nuclear weapons). The vessel didn't respond whether or not it carried nuclear weapons on board and came straight into the port.

After entering the port, Robert Rudan, US Consulate General to Osaka, stated at a press conference on board that he hoped that eventually US  warships would be allowed to enter the Port of Kobe. He also said that this port call was aimed at improving mutual friendship between Japan and the US, and said that Kobe was losing the opportunity to strengthen ties between our two countries.

No US warship has entered any ports in the prefecture since the Kobe Formula was inplemented in 1975. This portcall is obviously aimed at putting pressure on Kobe to abandon its nuclear-free Kobe Formula.

Five hundred protesters gathered at the port early on the morning of August 28 to protest against the entry of the US missile cruiser "Vincennes." Shortly before 8 am, the Vincennes entered the port to a chorus of protest. "We do not want US warships to use our civil ports," "Vincennes go home! Get out of our port!" were some of the slogans hurled at the ship.

Protests and demonstrations also took place in Nagoya, Wakayama and Shizuoka.

Nobue Kugimiya
(Hyogo Gensuikyo)
NSP Lista isprobava demokratiju u praksi