STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

Thursday May 31, 12:04 PM

War feeling revives in Bosnia

MAGLAJ, Bosnia-Hercegovina, May 31 (AFP) -
War feeling has revived in the Maglaj area, 90
kilometers (55 miles) northwest of Sarajevo, as
Bosnian Croats demand a change of municipal borders
along ethnic lines.

The inhabitants of four mountain villages in the
vicinity of Maglaj -- Mladosevica, Strupine, Galovac
and Bese, with a total population of 1,200 Croats --
are demanding that their area become a part of the
Zepce municipality, which has a Croat majority.

However these new borders would cut off the town of
Novi Seher where some 5,000 Muslims live, from the
town of Maglaj, said Dzevad Galijasevic, a Maglaj town
councillor.

Muslim inhabitants of Novi Seher, who were mostly
evicted or captured by Croat troops in 1993 and who
started returning to their pre-war homes in 1997,
organized a protest on Tuesday.

"We are very worried about the Croat initiative. I am
afraid that the outcome will not be a nice one," said
Ismeta Dzuhera, 51, one of the protestors.

Muslims and Croats fought side-by-side against the
Serbs in 1992, defending both Zepce and Maglaj.
However, when war broke out between Muslims and Croats
in 1993, Croats around Maglaj joined forces with
Serbs, pushing Muslims out of their homes in the area
between Zepce and Maglaj.

"I simply do not trust Croats any more. They betrayed
us by joining with the Serbs in 1993," Avdo, a
38-year-old Muslim, said.

"A lot of bad things happened during the war and it
will take a lot of time to heal the wounds so that we
are able to live together," he said.

Following the signing of the Dayton peace accords that
ended Bosnia's 1992-95 war, Croats around Zepce,
including the four disputed villages, opposed
integration into the institutions of the Muslim-Croat
federation, and set up parallel structures.

Last October, the top international envoy in Bosnia,
Wolfgang Petritsch, announced the integration of the
municipality of Zepce, appointing an international
supervisor to oversee implementation of the decision.

Petritsch's decision moved four villages into the
municipality of Maglaj, which has a Muslim majority.

"We feel safer being with our ethnic group," said
Jelica, a 40-year-old Croat living in Galovac.

"Croats from these villages have been gravitating
towards Zepce since the beginning of the 1992-95 war,"
her friend Sanja said.

"There was a war here. Do you think that a Croat woman
whose son was killed in the Muslim-Croat war would
want to deal with Muslims when she needs her passport
to be renewed," she added.

"At the beginning of the war, all Croats in the region
joined the Zepce brigade of the HVO (Bosnian Croat
army) which, according to us, makes our demands
legitimate," said Marinko Kavalic, who heads the local
branch of the nationalist Croat Democratic Union Party
(HDZ).

The HDZ and a few other nationalist parties proclaimed
"temporary Croat autonomy" in early March in areas
with a Croat majority, boycotting the country's
institutions.

"Petritsch himself is the only one who can make the
decision," Kavalic, who started the initiative, said.

"On the other hand, I am aware that we (Croats) make
up only ten percent in the region and that we must
live together with Muslims," he added.

"Tensions have risen in the past weeks," said Ante, a
Croat from Mladosevica.

"The situation is very serious and we must not forget
that many people still keep weapons from the recent
war," he added.

Maglaj authorities have meanwhile demanded a special
session of the Muslim-Croat federation parliament on
the ethnic issue.