STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Get a low APR NextCard Visa in 30 seconds!
     1.  Fill in the brief application
     2.  Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
     3.  Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no
annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/NextCard

Yugoslav Ambassador on Mission to Do 'Something Positive'

• Read Nora Boustany's previous Diplomatic Dispatches columns.

By Nora Boustany
Friday, June 1, 2001; Page A28

A crew cut, casual tan trousers, rolled-up sleeves and soft suede high-tops
soften the presence of Yugoslav Ambassador Milan St. Protic but do nothing
to diminish it. It is not his towering six-foot-plus frame or grand gestures
that make him larger than life, but his role as one of the leaders of the
democratic opposition that toppled Slobodan Milosevic.

Protic's large office on the top floor of the newly reopened Yugoslav
Embassy on California Street is almost too small for his intense
personality. The man who earned a doctorate in modern European history and
then taught it at the University of California in Santa Barbara is all
California at first, laid back and mellow. But when he talks about his
homeland, he becomes passionate.

When things started to change at home in 1992, he was drawn back to join the
democratic movement. "It was too much of a challenge for me to miss the
show," he said.

Protic immediately started organizing rallies and giving speeches about
democratic change. He helped form the party of then-opposition politician
Vojislav Kostunica, but quit over differences about dealing with Bosnian
Serbs. Protic started his own think tank before being elected to parliament
in September 2000. He was elected mayor of Belgrade on Oct. 5, when crowds
stormed the parliament building and effectively swept Milosevic from power.

"I will never forget the moments in 1997 when we faced police squads in the
streets," Protic recalled in an interview, referring to student-led protests
against Milosevic. "There were 200 of them, fully armed. We were barely 10
inches apart, we were getting so close, we could feel one another's breath.
We could see Milosevic's beasts and we were challenging them."

The groups that formed the alliance that would overthrow Milosevic began
picking up energy. "It was in the air and you could not stop these people.
It was like an avalanche," Protic said.

Protic was an advocate of nonviolence throughout his mayoral campaign and on
the morning of Oct. 6, he was asked to calm the crowds that had gathered on
the square outside city hall. He stood on a balcony of Serbia's former royal
palace and urged the crowds to pray for the crisis to end peacefully. "I
remember I could see people crying," he said.

Protic's first act as mayor was to ask residents to clean up their city. "I
wanted them to return to normalcy and do something constructive. It was the
only thing I could think of to drain the tension out. I said, 'I am not
ordering you, I am not commanding you, I am asking you.' "

Fighting Milosevic and the Communists was all "negative energy," and despite
reservations about uprooting his family and leaving his parents behind,
Protic accepted the offer to come to Washington. "It was time to do
something positive." He presented his credentials on Feb. 14.

After having been closed for two years, the embassy was bare and neglected.
In the three months since it was reopened, the ambassador and his skeleton
staff have played host to Kostunica, who is now Yugoslavia's president, the
prime minister, his foreign minister and central bank governor.

The ambassador shows up at 9 every morning to read the U.S. and Yugoslav
press before meeting with his diplomats. At noon, he heads out for lunches
with people on the Hill, before making the rounds of think tanks and
non-governmental organizations interested in the Balkans.

"He not only speaks with an American accent but he also speaks the American
idiom and appreciates the history of both America and Yugoslavia," said
Thomas M. Countryman, the outgoing director of South Central European
affairs at the State Department. "He understands the issues of democracy his
country is facing and has the substance to interpret in both directions."

"He straddles two societies very effectively and he knows the different
models for a society that is reinventing itself after two convulsions, the
end of communism and the spasms of violence," said James O'Brien, who was
adviser on the Balkans to President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State
Madeleine K. Albright.

O'Brien, one of the first senior U.S. officials to visit Belgrade last year,
met Protic, who was surrounded by people who had been on the streets the
week before. With them was a Yugoslav who had been threatened by Milosevic's
police, who suspected that the man was working for the U.S. Embassy. The
police had taken him to a field and put an unloaded gun to his head. Looking
at him, Protic remarked: "Well, welcome back guys."

"He was an amazing breath of fresh air," O'Brien recalled.

New carpeting and lighting have been installed at the embassy. But
refurbishing the embassy is not Protic's main concern -- it may have to be
handed over to Slovenia as part of the redistribution of diplomatic property
among new countries of the former Yugoslavia.

Logistics aside, Protic has a daunting task ahead as his president
grudgingly agrees to cooperate with the international tribunal for war
crimes, which wants to try Milosevic. Plus, there is Balkan fatigue here,
watching the last brick fall from the Berlin Wall.

Yugoslavia met the March 31 deadline for arresting Milosevic, thus securing
certification for $50 million in U.S. aid and paving the way for aid from
multilateral institutions. Protic said it was imperative for Yugoslavia to
try its ousted leader at home before handing him over to the international
tribunal in The Hague.

"Protic's challenge is that he has to get his message to the American people
now," O'Brien said.

"It is a historical moment for us of facing the truth within ourselves and
making him [Milosevic] face our truth," the ambassador said. "We believe our
nation desperately needs the concept of the rule of law to sink in and
[trying] Milosevic is the best way to begin. We could have organized a
monkey trial, but that would be doing what he, the Communists and the Nazis
did. There is no doubt about his crimes. We have no reason to avoid his
accountability. It took a lot of restraint not to have a vendetta against
him." Protic said that his government is waiting to compile enough evidence
for a trial. "Look how long it took to try Timothy McVeigh; nobody doubts
what he did."

Protic said he likes being in Washington. "I may disagree with some things,
but I understand it. I like the Americans, their straightforwardness, their
easygoing attitude and their diligence. This is a great country."

© 2001 The Washington Post Company

Miroslav Antic,
http://www.antic.org/