STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

ListBot Sponsor

And please note the “Movement” credentials: Co-ordinator, PeaceNet ( Through PeaceNet™, take action for positive social change in the areas of peace, social and economic justice, human rights and [of course, our old friend,] the struggle against racism.” )

“Featured” member of PeaceNet: The World Federalist Movement (recall the anti-racist musings of WFM’s President, "Sir" Peter Ustinov, on those “retarded creatures,” the Serbs, whose “subscription to the human race” is “in arrears,” etc)

STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------

Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

Please note that it is not a critique against real well-hearted

pacifist, but those closet fascists who tried to sell us that motto:

"there's nothing else we could do, just bomb them".

Give special attention to the paragraphs:

"...I know very clearly that these are people whose families are

being executed, or driven from their homes. I know they feel like

every peaceful alternative has been exhausted..."

and that collaborationist

"What's a pacifist to do? "

Regards,

Fco. Javier Bernal

Taken from

http://www.igc.org/igc/pn/hg/pacifist.html

What's a Pacifist to Do?

A tale of two demonstrations.

Patti Mallin, PeaceNet Coordinator

Living in a suburb of Washington, DC, presents all sorts of

opportunity for national-level activism, and observation thereof.

Wednesday, March 31 was such an opportunity. As the PeaceNet

coordinator I try to keep my eye on the actions taking place here in

the neighborhood, so that I can cover them for IGC, if only in

photos. I learned from the network that on March 31st, there would be

not one but two demonstrations related to the NATO air strikes in

Yugoslavia. I packed up the camera and prepared to spend the day in

front of the White House.

Shortly after 11 A.M., I arrived in Lafayette Park to attend a rally

sponsored by the National Albanian American Council. It was promoted

as a rally to "Stop the Genocide." I was prepared for an emotional

experience, but not at all ready for what I actually encountered. I

will say at the outset that I am horrified at the slaughter and the

violent displacement of ethnic Albanians in Kosova. In my heart and

in my mind I know this needs to stop. I was expecting to be swept up

in the moment.

As I approached I saw a large crowd waving American Flags shouting "U-

S-A! U-S-A!" I wondered if I was in the wrong place. It reminded me

of the Olympics or a national political party convention. As I got

closer the Albanian flags came into view. I did see much of what I

anticipated -- parents and children worried about their grandparents,

people chanting about independence for Kosova, and bringing an end to

the genocide. But then my stomach turned.

There was a NATO pep rally going on around me. Adults and children

alike yelling, "Bomb, NATO, bomb!" Signs saying "Send in the ground

troops!" And a Yugoslavian flag was burned. I know very clearly that

these are people whose families are being executed, or driven from

their homes. I know they feel like every peaceful alternative has

been exhausted. "We signed the peace accord, we lived up to our

part." But it really truly stunned me to see the vehement call for

more violence. There was no shortage of passion in this rally.

Granted most participants had been bussed in from other cities as

Washington has a very small Albanian community, but orchestrated or

not the passion was real.

>From the stage, speaker after speaker -- representing the

administration, Albanian-American organizations, the American Jewish

Committee and others demanded stronger actions from NATO. "The only

solution is to get troops on the ground as soon as possible." "NATO

must be on the ground as soon as possible." "Inaction would deepen

despair." Only the former ambassador to Albania acknowledged that

bombing meant more killing, not less.

My heart broke a little more when a child spoke from the stage and

said, "I may only be nine years old, so I don't kow how to bring

Milosevic to the bargaining table. I do know the only way to stop him

is to bomb him."

What's a pacifist to do? I can't bring myself to believe that

dropping bombs or sending in ground troops is a morally responsible

action. And yet, what are the alternatives?

So later in the day I crossed the street to the White House where a

"Stop the Bombing" protest was taking place. Here's where I'd find my

answers about the alternatives. Here's where my pacifist leanings

would be strengthened again. At least that is what I thought.

What I found was a protest without heart or soul. The passion, the

spirit I saw earlier was nowhere in evidence. I saw mostly the usual

suspects walking their slow oval on the sidewalk in front of 1600

Pennsylvania Avenue, being led through a series of chants. "Clinton,

Clinton, you can't hide, bombing equals genocide!" Yes, I agree. But

tell me something more than that dropping bombs is bad. Tell me what

to do. Help me think this through.

There were more tourists pushing past the line of sign-bearers to

peer through the fence at the White House than in the protest itself.

Most folks took a photo and moved on. A man approached me and asked

if he could tell me why he was protesting. I eagerly said, "Yes,

please do!" and he handed me a photocopied sheet of paper and walked

away. It basically said that bombing is bad.

Please tell me I don't have to choose between escalated bombing and

escalated ethnic cleansing. What's a pacifist to do?