STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Get a low APR NextCard Visa in 30 seconds!
     1.  Fill in the brief application
     2.  Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
     3.  Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no
annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/NextCard

Any thoughts on this?????

Bush Sending CIA Chief to Mideast
http://www.lycos.com/m.asp?n11
Reuters
Jun 05, 2001 02:54 p.m. PDT

 E-mail or  Print this story

- - - - -

WASHINGTON -- President Bush, signaling a more active role in mediation
between Israel and the Palestinians, on Tuesday decided to send CIA Director
George Tenet to the Middle East to build on a cease-fire.

Tenet will leave late Tuesday and arrive in the Middle East on Wednesday,
U.S. officials said. He will stay several days, visiting Israel's Arab
neighbors as well as Israel and possibly the Palestinian territories, they
added.

It will be the Central Intelligence Agency director's first trip to the
region since he went in October last year. Under the administration of former
President Bill Clinton he played a key role in helping the sides work out
security arrangements.

SEE ALSO:
Everybody's got issues in Politics

Bush said: "We believe enough progress has been made on the cease-fire that
it is time to send George Tenet to the Middle East to start serious
discussions at the security level about how to make sure that the cease-fire
continues."

"Once the violence has ceased, once there is a cease-fire in place, once
there's strong security arrangements back in place then we can start having
political discussions," he told reporters at the White House.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said: "We would expect him to meet
with security chiefs and responsible authorities from all sides." He added
"His goal this time is to assess the situation and to encourage additional
security cooperation between the parties."

DIPLOMATIC INITIATIVE

U.S. officials had said before the trip was announced that they wanted to be
sure Tenet could meet Palestinian security officials Mohammed Dahlan and
Jibril al-Rajoub, who had stayed away from recent low-level security
meetings.

The Bush administration took over in January promising a more hands-off
approach toward the region after Clinton's intense personal diplomacy, which
came close to a settlement but then failed last year.

It kept its distance for months while violence raged between Israel and the
Palestinians.

But it began a diplomatic initiative to promote proposals of an international
commission led by former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell last month and became more
involved after Palestinian President Yasser Arafat announced a cease-fire
last week.

Arafat was responding to the risk of massive Israeli attacks in revenge a the
suicide bombing which killed 21 people at a nightclub in Tel Aviv on Friday.

Secretary of State Colin Powell spoke to Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon
Peres by telephone on Tuesday as part of a U.S. diplomatic effort to
strengthen the cease-fire and push the Israelis and Palestinians toward
confidence-building measures.

"We've seen a lower level of violence over the past 48 hours, and we're very
pleased to see that the situation appears to be headed in the right
direction," Boucher said.

"It is important that we see sustained actions by the parties to maintain
this situation and to make the cessation of violence endure," he added.

In the Middle East, Tenet will work closely with Powell's "special assistant"
William Burns, who stayed on in the region after initial contacts with Arafat
and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon last month, Boucher said.

MITCHELL COMMISSION

Burns has the added mission of trying to set a timetable for political
measures recommended by the Mitchell commission.

The commission suggested that Israel ease the restrictions on Palestinians,
stop all settlement activity and resume talks with the Palestinians on the
future of the West bank and Gaza.

Tenet, who over the years has established fairly good relations with Israeli
and Palestinian officials, had played a key role in brokering security talks
by Clinton.

President Bush at first decided to stop sending Tenet to security cooperation
talks between Israelis and Palestinians, and tried instead to have them deal
directly with each other.

Lower-ranking CIA officials, however, have been involved in meeting with both
sides this year with the goal of stopping eight months of violence that has
claimed hundreds of lives.

Asked why the Bush administration has now changed its mind on high-level CIA
engagement, Boucher said: "There's different leadership in Israel. There's a
different situation on the ground... I don't think it should surprise you
that where we have people who can work on the security situation, like
Director Tenet, that they would get involved."

In his latest contacts with the leaders on Monday, Powell asked Arafat to
arrest extremists and Sharon to maintain his policy of abstaining from
revenge attacks on Palestinians.

Boucher said he did not know if Arafat had ordered any arrest since speaking
to Powell.

Copyright © 2001 Reuters Limited.

Have a comment on this article? Send it.