STOP NATO: ˇNO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Get a low APR NextCard Visa in 30 seconds!
     1.  Fill in the brief application
     2.  Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
     3.  Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no
annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/NextCard

The Scotsman
June 9, 2001

Christian Jennings in Aracinovo

Albanian rebels moving in on Skopje’s airport

MACEDONIA’S war against ethnic Albanian rebels edged
closer to the nation’s capital yesterday as guerrilla
fighters from the National Liberation Army took up
positions in this suburb of Skopje, within easy
striking range of the main national airport.

"We arrived here at mid-day, we control the Albanian
part of the town, we have up to 150 fighters in
positions around the town, and unless there is
immediate dialogue with the government, we are going
to push forward," rebel commander "Hoxha" told The
Scotsman. "We could take Skopje and have men inside
the capital already."

Ignoring offers of a rebel ceasefire made late on
Thursday night, the army and police yesterday poured
artillery and tank shells into a string of villages
outside Kumanovo, where more than 20,000 civilians
have been trapped for over a month.

"The rebels operating this close to the capital shows
that they can effectively ignore any security
operations carried out by the army and police, and
strike at will," said one western defence intelligence
official.

Around the dusty streets of Aracinovo, overlooking the
centre of the capital, the interior ministry deployed
armoured vehicles carrying units of special police,
the "Tigers", who have borne the brunt of the fighting
to date.

Political solutions to the conflict looked
increasingly slim as western security sources said
that groups of trained Slav paramilitaries were behind
an explosion of anti-Albanian violence in Bitola this
week that left dozens of properties torched and up to
a dozen people wounded.

The outbursts in Bitola were the first major incidents
in violence instigated by civilians rather than by the
army or police, and came as groups of Slav civilians,
enraged by the death in an ambush on Wednesday of five
Macedonian soldiers, went on a rampage on Wednesday
and Thursday.

In a last-minute bid at a peaceful solution to
Macedonia’s five-month crisis, the EU Security
Commissioner, Javier Solana, flew in to Skopje to
hammer home to bickering Macedonian political parties
the need for increased dialogue, in an effort to
short-circuit support for the rebels.

The president, Boris Trajkovski, was due to address
parliament in a special session late yesterday in
which he was expected to outline a possible get-out
clause for the rebels, seen as the last chance to
avoid civil war in Macedonia.

The proposed plan, which envisages rebels being
allowed to lay down their weapons and leave Macedonia
- although not benefit from an amnesty - is expected
to come up against stiff opposition from the army and
police, as well as hardline Slav parties within the
country’s fragile month-old coalition.

"We do not deal with terrorists," said an army
spokesman, Colonel Blagoje Markovski, asked why the
army rejected a ceasefire early yesterday morning and
stepped up its bombardment of rebel positions.

NATO and Russia, in a new display of unity, hailed the
rejection of the ceasefire.

"The call for a ceasefire may be seen by some as an
olive-branch but of course it follows a fairly
murderous attack a few days ago," said Lord Robertson,
the NATO secretary general. "So when you do that and
call for a ceasefire the answer is: put down your arms
permanently."

Twenty Macedonian soldiers and policemen have been
killed and dozens wounded in five months of conflicts
against the rebels, who are demanding equal rights for
Macedonia’s 600,000 ethnic Albanians.

Christian Jennings In Aracinovo
Saturday, 9th June 2001
The Scotsman