STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Get a low APR NextCard Visa in 30 seconds!
     1.  Fill in the brief application
     2.  Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
     3.  Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no
annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/NextCard

Clinton Accepts Dayton Peace Prize

By JAMES HANNAH
.c The Associated Press

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Former President Clinton accepted the Dayton Peace Prize
for his efforts to end the war in Bosnia and said the United States must
finish the job through financial support.

The award was presented to the former president Wednesday night at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, where the Dayton Peace Accords that ended
the conflict in the Balkan nation were reached nearly six years ago.
Scheduling conflicts kept Clinton from personally accepting the award last
fall.

At the ceremony, Clinton said Bosnia can emerge as an independent nation only
through privatization of its economy.

``All too often those of us who have the resources to help them succeed in
the long run don't do our part. We cannot let that happen in the Balkans,''
Clinton said.

``There is still not enough effort by the United States and Europe to open
our markets and direct our investments to people who could be great partners
with us in the 21st century,'' he said.

More than 400 people, including the ambassadors of Bosnia and Croatia,
attended the dinner and ceremony.

``You acted and committed U.S. troops to protecting the peace,'' Dayton Mayor
Mike Turner told Clinton. ``It was a daring move. It was a brave act
undertaken for the sole purpose of it was the right thing to do.''

Clinton was in Vietnam when the prize was announced in November, on the fifth
anniversary of the accords. The award was accepted then by U.S. Ambassador
James Pardew.

The U.S. government brought the leaders of Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia to
Wright-Patterson in late 1995 to negotiate an end to the war in Bosnia. The
Dayton Peace Accords were initialed Nov. 21, 1995, ending a conflict that had
cost more than 200,000 lives and led to the displacement of nearly 1 million
people.

``President Clinton's efforts to invest in peace in the Balkans after the war
was over was the most significant thing he could have done,'' said Bruce
Hitchner, chairman of the Dayton Peace Accords Project. ``He stayed the
course. He invested in making Bosnia work.''

Peacekeeping troops remain in the region.

The award includes a $25,000 cash prize, which Clinton will donate to a
charity in Bosnia, Hitchner said. It also includes a sculpture and a gold
medallion.

On the Net:

Dayton Peace Accords:
http://www.state.gov/www/regions/eur/bosnia/bosagree.html