STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

CNN News
June 22, 2001

Macedonian army pounds village

SKOPJE, Macedonia -- The Macedonian army has resumed
its bombardment of a key village held by Albanian
guerrillas.

Helicopter gunships, tanks and mortars were deployed
on Friday in a dawn strike against rebel positions in
Aracinovo despite widespread efforts to sustain an
11-day-old truce.

Mi-24 helicopters swooped in on the village, which is
10 km (six miles) from Skopje, firing repeatedly at
the area -- from where rebels have threatened to shell
Macedonia's capital and its airport.

Colonel Blagoja Markovski said the action was aimed at
"crushing and destroying terrorists."

A rebel leader known as Commander Hohxa told the
Associated Press three civilians were killed and many
were wounded, including one rebel fighter. There has
been no independent confirmation of the casualties.

He said: "I'm warning the government if they want war
they're going to get one. We will defend ourselves."

Talks in Skopje to hammer out a peace deal intended to
persuade the rebels to disarm are deadlocked, despite
a NATO offer to send troops to Macedonia to help
collect weapons as soon as political agreement can end
fighting in the republic.

European Union envoy Javier Solana ended a flying
peace mission on Thursday saying he was optimistic
that the drive to negotiate an end to the
four-month-old Albanian insurgency could be revived
before the rebel ceasefire expires next Wednesday.

NATO and the U.S. say they are "hopeful" that a
political settlement can be reached, although
Washington has still not agreed to take part in a
disarmament force, Secretary of State Colin Powell
said on Thursday.

Powell was speaking after talks at the State
Department with visiting NATO Secretary-General George
Robertson.

"We of course talked about Macedonia. We are hopeful
the political process will start to pick up some speed
and momentum and move forward," Powell told reporters.

He said the U.S. had taken part in the NATO decision
to make contingency plans for deploying Western troops
in Macedonia to disarm the ethnic Albanian guerrillas
who are fighting for more rights for their community.

NATO says it would deploy such a force only if a
political settlement can be reached in the Former
Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

Powell added: "But we have not got to the point of
actual U.S. participation in such an effort. We
haven't made a contribution yet.

"There are many ways in which we can make a
contribution, but that's not gone any further than
that."

The issue of which countries would supply troops
required for a disarmament mission in Macedonia will
be decided at a NATO conference which will probably
take place next week, Robertson told CNN.

Asked if such a mission could work without U.S. troop
involvement, Robertson avoided a direct response,
saying there should be balance among members of the
alliance.

"It is important that there is a proper, wide balance
of troops that come, so that they don't all come from
one country," he said.

"This is a NATO mission and NATO means that the
countries in NATO should be involved."

Solana arrived in Skopje on a brief visit to encourage
leaders to keep talking, after Macedonian President
Boris Trajkovski said the week-old process was
"totally deadlocked."

"I think we will be able to solve the problem," Solana
said. "I think that we, all of us, will move only
forward."

"We are talking and we will be able to make an
agreement," said Imer Imeri, a key ethnic Albanian
leader. "First we will start with easier subjects and
then we will follow to more difficult ones."