STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:47:34 -0500
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Kim Scipes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kim disses Kissinger--to his face!

Folks--

  I don't normally engage in individualistic-type
actions, and generally don't promote them, by I'm
going to make an exception to the rule. Although I got
some publicity out of this--see below--that was
not my point: Henry Kissinger was in town, everyone
was kissing his ass, and I just wanted to personally
let him know that this one person despises him and
everything he stands for. (Obviously, I'm in a very
long line on this one, but I didn't claim to
represent anyone but myself.)  I've decided to resend
a message I sent the other night (June 18, 2001) to a
friend: if you think the story deserves retelling,
please feel free to pass it on!

Kim

Dear ____:

  Henry Kissinger was in Chicago tonight at the
Fairmont Hotel, and believe it or not, in the
Imperial(ist) Room, speaking for the Chicago Council
on Foreign Relations.  Well, your's truly scored a
ticket.  :)  (You can, I trust, see where this is
going!)

  Unfortunately, I had to listen to his inane talk,
but I was cool cause I didn't want to piss the
audience totally off at me.  Then they had Q&A, but
all questions had to be submitted on cards.  Anyway,
the last question was (and this was ALL kissy-face
shit) that someone had stated that they had slept well
while Kissinger had been in power, and the questioner
was wondering how K slept with Donald Rumsfeld in
power?

  Well, I stood up and asked his Royalty how he slept
at night since he was probably the biggest war
criminal in the world alive today?  I pointed out to
the audience that he had killed hundreds of thousands
(I started off conservatively) if not millions in Viet
Nam, Cambodia, Chile, Angola, Bangladesh and elsewhere
[note:  I certainly meant to include East Timor on the
list, but can't honestly say I remembered to do it].
I said I thought he should be charged and taken to the
World Court in The Hague, tried and if convicted, hung
by the neck until dead.  (That Kim, a fucking
liberal....)  And then I politely sat down.  (There
was at least one person who clapped.)

  I actually got about a 90 section rap out, because
I sat in a section sounded by people, so the security
folks couldn't get me quickly--I was all alone.

  Anyway, three security types came up to me, and
asked me to leave. Instead of leaving quickly, I drew
it out, blah, blah, and one finally said that one of
them was a Chicago cop.  I asked to see his badge, and
he showed it to me, and said I could see his ID
outside.  Well, after disrupting things quite a bit, I
agreed to go (I was not wanting to be locked up).
Anyway, out in the lobby, I asked to see the cop's ID,
which he showed me, but I again made a big deal out
of it.  People were leaving around us, and definitely
got to hear more.  By that time, a reporter from the
Sun-Times came over, asked if we could talk, and of
course, I said, "Sure."  (Mr. Modesty.)

  So, I lead the S-T reporter and another man over
by the escalator, which the cops wanted me to exit by,
and instead of leaving, I held my "interview" there,
so everyone leaving by the escalator got to hear
me again!  She asked me all these good questions,
asked me to repeat my statement, asked me if I'd read
Hitchens' articles in Harper's, etc.  I told her I
had, but while I wasn't sure about all he said, I told
her about my research about Chile and then I went off
on my boy.  I explained the Yamashita principle:
Yamashita was a Japanese general in the Phils that
first ordered his men to kill prisoners, and then
rescinded them, but was forced by the US to bear the
responsibility for his initial order, and was hanged.
I don't know if it'll make the S-T, or if it does,
whether it'll be cut to shreads, but I did freak some
people out.  I did not get arrested.

  And most importantly, I got to look Kissinger in
the eye, and tell him I thought he was the biggest war
criminal living in the world today. While we were
probably 50 feet apart, he heard me.  His face
went blank.
_____

  I don't know what impact this had on anyone in the
audience:  I was so focused on K that I don't even
know what the people next to me said or how they
responded.  I did hear at least one person clap in
support of my statement, and I heard one person shout,
"Throw him out!"  But I know at least some people
heard me.

  Anyway, in today's (June 19) Sun-Times, (p. 6),
there was an article on Kissinger's talk.  The editors
had cut it down to almost nothing--I thought the
speech was pretty inane, but they only focused on his
comments re a possible Middle East "deal," when that
was a very small part of the talk. Then at the end of
the article was three short paragraphs (contrast this
with my full account above):

  "Kissinger's speech was briefly interrupted when a
man stood up, called Kissinger the 'greatest living
war criminal' and asked how he could sleep at night.

  "Kim Scipes, 49, of Chicago, was escorted out of the
ballroom and outside told reporters that Kissinger
should be held accountable for the US policy in the
Vietnam War.  [I didn't let him off so easily....]

  "'There were millions of Vietnamese killed.  There
were thousands of Americans that were wounded or
killed and were messed up,' Scipes said. 'He is
directly responsible for that'."

  [The end.]