STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

NATO Enlargement

2.52 p.m.
Lord Wallace of Saltaire asked Her Majesty's Government:
        Whether they support full membership of NATO for some or all of the
nine current applicant states within the next three to four years.
The Minister for Trade (Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean): My Lords, we
support the launching of the next round of NATO enlargement at the Prague
summit in November 2002. It is too early to say which of the aspirants will
meet the political and military criteria for membership by then. We are
providing practical support to their preparations under the Membership
Action Plan agreed with NATO.
Lord Wallace of Saltaire: My Lords, I thank the Minister for that reply. Can
she reassure us that the British Government are playing an active part in
the debate in Washington about NATO enlargement, which is clearly where the
main debate is now taking place, rather than simply waiting for the
Americans to decide the matter so that we can follow their decisions? Can
the Minister further assure us that there will be some consultation of
public opinion and Parliament in this country since a large-scale NATO
enlargement taking in most of the current applicants would clearly transform
NATO itself?
Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean: Yes, my Lords, I can confirm that the
British Government are taking a very active part in preparing the Membership
Action Plans. The noble Lord will know that they cover a number of different
matters--political, economic, military, legislative and security. From my
personal experience in the Ministry of Defence, I can tell the noble Lord
that this country is taking a very active role with aspirant countries. I
hope that the noble Lord will accept that assurance from me.
Baroness Williams of Crosby: My Lords, can the Minister confirm that the
Government will give special attention to the need to recognise the human
rights of minorities in some of the candidate countries, with particular
regard perhaps to two of the Baltic countries, given the presence of tense
international relations with Russia?
Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean: My Lords, of course the human rights of the
countries concerned are very important. I believe that those are covered by
the parts of the Membership Action Plans that deal with politics and
legislation.
16 Jul 2001 : Column 1267
I did not pick up the latter part of the question posed by the noble Lord,
Lord Wallace, about consultation on these issues. As the House may know,
there will be meetings towards the end of this year. The NATO Foreign and
Defence Ministers are due to meet towards the end of this year and next May
before we reach the conclusion of the process in Prague in November of next
year. There will be an opportunity, which I am sure that your Lordships will
readily take, for consultation on the widest possible basis. A number of
your Lordships have already expressed views on those countries which some of
you believe are readier than others for membership. But the criteria for
membership will be assessed on the same basis for everyone at the time.
Lord Howell of Guildford: My Lords, will the Minister agree that the role of
the three Baltic countries deserves special sympathy in this process? Does
the Minister accept that those three brave little countries always used to
regard Britain as their champion and look to Britain today to see them
right? Further, can the Minister reassure us that in considering their
applications and their role neither this Government nor the NATO governments
will be overawed by Russian grumbling in seeing that the proper security of
Europe and these three states is secure?
Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean: My Lords, I agree that the three Baltic
countries have a very special place in these considerations. They will of
course be judged in the same way as any other aspirant country; that is, in
relation to NATO's readiness to absorb the new member in question; as to
that country's readiness to sustain the burdens of the relationship with
NATO; and the overall effect on European security. There is no way to
circumvent those three criteria. I would assure the noble Lord, as all of us
have done from the Dispatch Box, that there is no veto on Russia's part on
any assessment of the criteria in relation to any country, including the
Baltic states, when looking at its readiness for membership of NATO.
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhansrd/pdvn/
lds01/text/10716-02.htm#10716-02_star0