As Mike noted in an email a few days ago, energy prices no doubt will go up substantially in the future, and that ought to force us to take another look at the way we live. To my mind, one essential to addressing the issue is build new housing and other development that increases our density.

District Energy, which heats my home downtown, uses alternative energy sources to heat and cool downtown, through a heating and cooling plant, and a network of underground hot and cold water pipes. It is cost-effective downtown precisely because the density downtown makes it cost-effective in the current market, but it fast becomes cost-prohibitive (currently) to expand to a larger market.

In terms of transportation, we also need to provide the choices that provide alternatives to the 1 person, 1 car model - a model which is increasingly costly as well as energy inefficient. We should be creating major parts of the City that are dense enough to sustain transportation alternatives: walking, bus and rail transit, biking, and car-sharing. Right now, downtown is the only area that can broadly sustain these choices in Saint Paul. Meanwhile, Uptown and downtown, Cedar-Riverside and NE/St Anthony all can sustain these choices in Minneapolis. See the list below to see where St. Paul could focus efforts.

There are also tax benefits to higher density, a fact Mayor Kelly has successfully tapped to help hold down taxes citywide. Denser developments require less City infrastructure per person, and get more tax-generating capacity out of the same land.

Yet at the same time, there are certainly pitfalls and downsides to overbuilding, as well. In building the density, we don't need to annoy existing residents and dramatically impact existing neighborhoods. We need to carefully avoid creating out-of-place developments that cram in too many units per acre, or build out of scale - developments which give density a bad name. The benefits of density must be balanced against the need for open space - for environmental, aesthetic, livability and recreational reasons.

At times in recent years, the City's goal of density has begun to conflict with environmental, aesthetic, recreational concerns. New development proposals for the West Side Flats conflicts with a variety of environmental and livability concerns. A new development that is slated to be perched above the new Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary near Lowertown has threatened to overpower this significant new natural and historic resource by Lowertown. New development in the downtown core needs to be complemented with significant investments in public green space - the only "backyard" downtown residents have. We need to not only increase density, but create density that is workable in the long term, and reinforces the benefits of dense development.

Still, there is a TON of undeveloped land in a few key corridors of the City that is either entirely vacant, or close to it:

a) Infill downtown - in the many empty lots that aren't yet developed, including some major sites near the Capitol.
b) Riverfront in downtown/Lowertown - Lowertown Redevelopment Corp's "River Garden" / Union Depot Plan
c) West Side Flats & Riverfront - guided by the adopted West Side Flats Master Plan. In the long-term the opportunity here goes on further than people think, and could ultimately wrap south from downtown toward South St. Paul.
d) Old industrial sites along West 7th and the river area to the airport - Brewery, Koch Mobil, etc...
e) University Avenue Transit Corridor - key undeveloped sites at Rice, Dale, Lexington, near Snelling, and more.
f) Phalen Corridor - some housing opportunity sites.
g) Others, in a few years.

Keeping a long-term urban vision in mind, these could be exciting years for St. Paul. But we need to make sure we keep the attention focused on the long-term goal, so that all the small decisions that get made in the intervening years build support for the kinds of development that will make St. Paul a liveable, energy-efficient, sustainable city. A city that draws people in from around the region to experience the unique flavor of St. Paul.

Bob Spaulding
Downtown