"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin.

We can adapt to our changing energy environment (high gas costs and high home heating costs as far as the eye can see) or we can be sheep passively waiting to be sheared by those who control those energy resources. The idea of planning, the idea of looking ahead, is to prevent use from being the sheep in the pasture of the energy powers that be. We have the time now to look ahead and see some possible futures: people of great means displacing the common folk of the city by bidding (and real estate taking) us our homes as the value of homes increase, or creating an urban environment in which maintaining our homes, our castles, is affordable for most of us. Creating high density development could help create more energy efficient neighborhood housing in the city than can exist in suburbia. It would allow for the amentities of every day living to be closer at hand in a well thought our city than in spread out big box suburban sprawls. And in this effort, everybody, even you Dennis, should be involved in the planning. I , for one, am not wanting or waiting to be sheared.

Mike Schoenberg
MacGroveland

Dennis Tester wrote:

If there's one thing this city doesn't lack it's people and groups willing to label
themselves as "planners."  And if there's not enough city officials to sit in
on all these meetings and not enough money to pay for all their administrivia, then thank
God.

And I think that bureaucrats telling CVS that their storefront design wasn't
suitable for the corner of University and Snelling when the other three corners
are occupied by total architectural monstrocities was outrageous if not
hilarious for its chutzpa.

I wish we had more sensible people like Debbie Montgomery around, frankly who
don't think this is all just a giant SIMS game.  In fact, I wish she had run
for mayor.

Dennis Tester Mac-Groveland

Archive Address:
http://www.mnforum.org/mailman/private/stpaul/

------------------------------------------------- JOIN the St. Paul Issues Forum TODAY: http://www.e-democracy.org/stpaul/ ------------------------------------------------- POST MESSAGES HERE: stpaul@mnforum.org

To subscribe, modify subscription, or get your password - visit: