Thanks for the reply.

My error was to believe that handleValidationErrors was called “when
validation fails”, when, in fact, the method is called “whenever there are
ValidationErrors in the actionbeancontext” (as clearly stated in the
javadoc, btw). This can seem the same at first sight, but there’s a rough
corner. If you try to forward to *the same* action but different event,
handleValidationErrors will be invoked again, possibly resulting in an
infinite loop.

On a side note, while testing my discoveries, I’ve found that the event gets
lost when a forward is made to the same action… Don’t know if this is a
known issue. Rudimentary sample code:

public Resolution handleValidationErrors(ValidationErrors errors) throws
Exception {

            String event = getContext().getEventName();   // First
validation error is triggered in the event “persistUserData”

            if (!event.equals("execute")) {

                        return new ForwardResolution(EditUserAction.class,
"execute").addParameter("user.id", user.getId());      // Execute event gets
ignored, resulting in an infinite loop

            } else {

                        return null;

            }