Many thanks.  I did consider all of your suggestions.  I don't want to use
Javascript at present for a variety of reasons, not least the impact it has
on screen readers used by the visually impaired.

I agree I could use HTML but I decided in the end to create another event.
It was just a suggestion for a new feature.  A better suggestion , as it
applies to several tags, might be to be able to alter the value resolution
order in the tag.  So I could put in a value attribute or body (as one of
the suggestion was but it won't work) and force the tag to use that instead
of the normal resolution order.  This would be useful for other tags as
well, e.g.g when collecting a value and altering it to pass on (say a flag
that indicated read only but needs to be switched to the opposite). I
currently do this by declaring a write-only property that in fact alters its
readonly variant.