From: Aaron Stromas [mailto:passog...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 3:21 PM
To: Stripes Users List
Subject: Re: [Stripes-users] NumberFormatException for array length???

Learned something new, thank you. Unfortunately, the good news don't apply to
my case, I don't need the length for iteration. I wish I was programming
Groovy...

-a

On 26 April 2010 15:07, Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind
<os...@westravanholthe.nl<mailto:os...@westravanholthe.nl>> wrote:
On 26-04-2010 at 14:59, Aaron Stromas wrote:
> My action bean has a String[] valued property with getter and setter, say,
> x. The JSP is happy with using the array in <stripes:options-collection
> collection="x"/> but referring  to ${actionBean.x.length} generates
> NumberFormatException. Does it make sense? Thanks,

Sadly, yes: length is not a JavaBeans property (the method name is length(),
not getLength()). Using a Collection won't help either, as the method name is
then size() (not getSize()).

But there is also good news: you rarely need the length on its own. Usually,
the entire array is important:
- when building the page you can iterate the elements (and using the
 attribute varStatus you can name a variable of the type
 javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.core.LoopTagStatus which has a convenient getIndex()
 method)
- when parsing the resulting request parameters, Stripes will happily bind to
 an array or List. See here for more details:
 http://www.stripesframework.org/display/stripes/Indexed+Properties

Oscar

--
  ,-_  Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind