--
Samuel Santos
http://www.samaxes.com/

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Stone, Timothy <tst...@barclaycardus.com>wrote:

>  Samuel,
>
> In regards to Stripes, the discussion is about the syntax used in the HTML
> response by the Tag Library. STS-751 is an attempt to allow developers to
> determine the syntax and not be tied to Stripes Tag Library default (a
> default which would allowed by HTML5 BTW).

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll look into it.

> In regards to “HTML4 can really led to disastrous results on mobile web
> applications,” please provide details about the mobile platform. This does
> not mesh with testing we have performed internally. We are delivering HTML4
> (Loose, Trans, and Strict) across a broad range of advanced mobile
> platforms, Apple, Android, etc. with a low rate of issues, certainly not
> debilitating issues. The mime type text/html in all cases.

I presume that you live in the US, so that may me true for you.
But if you look at the market share in Europe and Worldwide you'll see that
market is still dominated by Nokia and specially by dumbphones.
Then you have mobile operators (e.g. Vodafone) that have WAP proxies which
adapt content for dumbphones.
We have find out that the DOCTYPEs that deliver the best results and are
globally best supported are XHTML Basic and XHTML MP (both should be
delivered with content type application/xhtml+xml).

> As an aside, delivering HTML 4 with a content-type of application/xhtml+xml
> could very well lead to disastrous results. HTML4 is pretty clear about the
> content-type: text/html (See § 4.3 of the HTML 4.01 recommendation).

The Mobile Web Best Practices (http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/) seems more
appropriate for this than the HTML 4 specification.