Sorry to bother, I just found the solution.  Google failed me, but the
Stripes documentation had it right on the front page of the tld doc.  The
answer is to use the dynamic tld instead of the regular stripes tld.

<%@ taglib prefix=*"stripes-dynamic"* uri=*"
http://stripes.sourceforge.net/stripes-dynattr.tld"* %>