For the first question, you don't want to parse the XML file in a taglib.
It would be much more efficient to store the parsed XML file in the session
and then access it with ${sessiojnAttributeName}.

To your second question, I am assuming that you have message keys in the XML
file.  If you are using stripes, you can just use a <s:message> tag.
Otherwise, you can use a <jsp:message> tag.  Hope that helps.

-- Rick