I am using a custom population strategy that relies only on the request and
the tag for its values. This has worked fine for all situations exception
radio buttons. My tag looks like this:

<s:radio checked="${actionBean.story.category}"  name="story.category"
value="${actionBean.healthCategory}"/>
 However, this never renders 'checked' in the output unless the value is a
primitive. I believe the reason for this is because the checked field in the
InputRadioButtonTag.class is declared as a 'String checked' field. The
checked attribute in the InputCheckboxTag.class on the other hand uses an
'Object checked', and I have no problem with checkboxes.

Why is it that the radio button tag uses a String and checkbox uses an
object? Is this a bug? Is there any chance it can be changed to an object?