Hi,

The past couple of weeks I've been trying to learn Stripes, and I have
to say I really like what I'm seeing so far. I bought the book and
used the website, they're both great resources and I have the feeling
I am slowly getting up to speed with the basics. However, there is
some information on the website that makes me scratch my head.

I looked at the best practices page and the suggestion “Use @Before
methods to pre-populate domain objects” confuses me. The description
that's underneath it, doesn't really help me either. It says:
“When creating screens to edit existing persistent objects it's nice
to be able to avoid copying all the properties from the nested domain
object to the persistent one that you just looked up from the
database. If you pre-populate the object from the database, Stripes
will just bind the values from the request like normal, leaving you
with an updated object ready to save.”

Is this best practice necessary for things to work smoothly? I have an
ActionBean with a form, a domain object, and a Converter that loads
the domain object from a DAO when its ID is given as a parameter. From
my understanding, when I pass along the object ID in a hidden field,
the object gets bound again on the next request and filled with the
values that were entered in  my form. What am I missing? - Or am I
going wrong here in assuming that is the order in which things happen?

At first glance I don't see how the hydration scheme is an
improvement. It's called before the binding and validation process
takes place, which means that it happens before the automatic
parameter binding (right?). If I read correctly this means that I have
to hydrate the object by myself by using a request parameter and
querying my DAO object. So I am basically doing work that Stripes can
handle on its own, and I am not even getting the advantage of
automatic type conversion.

Before looking into this I was using a “lazy getter” approach for
getting my data from the database. I can see that the best practise
makes my code a bit leaner because the getters and setters contain
less code. It also makes StrictBinding a bit easier because there's
one less parameter to bind. But surely, that can't be all there is to
it?

It's probably one of these things that you have to get your head
around but I'm not seeing it yet. I would really appreciate the
insight of someone who knows more about this.

Thanks.

Stan