For this particular use-case, I'd suggest reducing the scriptlet to a
custom tag. This would give you the ability to customize it later if
your needs change and avoid cut-and-paste reuse through the site. But
that's not going to require the use of Struts in any way.

Model 2 and MVC are about designing dynamic Web applications that
collect and return data customized to each user. Not every Web site
needs to be dynamic or an application.

Given this use case, I'd say you have some pages with dynamic elements
but not a web application, so Model 2 and the rest of it doesn't apply.

Of course, there are many large static sites that can benefit from a
navigational controller to manage the links between its pages. But that
is not what was presented here.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services