John Yu wrote:
> To a certain extent, this consequence is 'historical'. If the formbean api
> had been decided not to tie up to the Struts and servlet API, we would not
> see this dependency problem. So, I think one outcome of this discussion is:
> 'does it make sense to "correct" this historical issue to allow less
> restrictive usage of formbean by changing the formbean api?'
>
> To me, the discussion is getting a bit religious, pragmatism vs
> idealistism. On one hand, from my consulting experience, I share Vic's
> sentiment. On the other hand, I find it's inelegant when the boundary of
> the layers gets blur. (Hmm, it seems I'm not adding any value here...)

It doesn't seem pragmatic to me to take the HttpRequest and
ActionMappings out of the validate signature. There are many valid,
practical uses for these objects here and removing them seems
counter-productive.

AFAIK, the core complaint with the ActionForms has been maintainence of
the properties. Since in the post-1.1 era, ActionForms can be backed by
a Map or a DynaForm, I believe maintenance becomes a non-issue. A
Map-backed ActionForm can take whatever you want to throw at it, and
a single BaseActionForm could be used by every Struts application in
an enterprise unchanged.

Of course, there's still data transfer. But there are several good ways
to do this now, including defining an interface for the business bean
that the ActinForm can implement, using BeanUtils and some helper
methods for the fancier types, or convincing the business beans to
fetch whatever parameters they need from a Map.

In any case, the data transfer is not so much about Struts is it is
about transfering data between application layers using Strings. This
has always been a common need in computing. Witness JDBC's ability to
accept and return any data type as a string. Expecting our business
layers to do the same seems like a reasonable design feature to me.
And if they don't, then I'd say its time to add an adaptor (to the
business tier).

Of course, there is still a need for a good utility package to handle
type conversions and String transformations. But that would be useful
to a great number of Java applications, and is outside of the
scope of Struts itself =:O)

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services