Hi,

> I agree with Eddie and Martin that this is probably not a good idea, but
> for a different reason -- it would violate the layering of the MVC model.
>
> Remember that form beans are part of the View tier.  Adding a prepare()
> method for the purposes you propose would typically involve interacting
> with the model (getting stuff from the database, applying business rules
> to decide what information to display, and so on.  That kind of thing
> should really be done via an Action, which is why Struts encourages the
> current approach.
>
> > --
> > Martin Cooper
>
> Craig

I partly agree with you. I agree that forms should be inside the View tier,
but IMHO the methods "reset" and "validate" are methods of
business/controller logic.

Ideally i have our webdesigners create all the forms as _very_ simple beans
(just some getters and setters). wether the the received input is valid
shouldnt be decided/checked by them instead i (controller) should do it.

For example if i look at the current implementation of the
struts-example.war I find an issue that should point out what i mean.

If u take RegistrationForm.java and SaveRegistrationAction.java for example
the forms "validate" method does a simple check wether both entered
passwords match. now later in the Action there are some more tests (username
unique, etc) and perhaps another ActionErrors instance is created. We now
did a form-validate (Form) and the action again does some "kind-of"
form-validation. maybe my suggested "prepare" method and the "reset",
"validate" method would fit better into the "Action" class as "prepareForm",
"resetForm", "validateForm".

Thomas