On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:14:33 -0700
> From: David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Enhancement Request - add label and labelKey to form elements
>
> As soon as you start using the single character prefix, we'll start getting
> questions like, "Is the h taglib the same as the html taglib?".  If Struts
> goes to single character prefixes, then you should too but I really don't
> want to confuse new people with this.  It's not rocket science but I know I
> really hate it when people do this to me when I'm trying to learn something.

Yes, consistency would be a good overall policy.

> BTW, I think the current suggested prefixes are fine.  The JSTL went with
> single characters but would it have been terribly difficult to use "sql" and
> "xml" prefixes?

Actually, they didn't go totally to single character recommended prefixes:

  c        Core library
  x        XML library
  fmt      I18N-capable formatting library
  sql      Relational DB access library

So they really do recommend "sql" for the JDBC tags.  For the XML library,
the word "xml" is actually reserved, by the XML Spec, and cannot be used
for namespace prefixes, elements, or attributes in an XML document.
Therefore, it wasn't possible to use that.