Hello there,

First of all, this is not really a "struts-user" question... As a struts user for a while (and as I said, been using Struts Validator for some short time now), I'm currently trying to extend it and add some new resources (at least to the version we use on my company), and this is one of those extensions.

The Struts Validator package only generates Javascript for validation of fields - my question is: can the validator actually generate MASKS for the user's input?

In a project I used to work, I had to develop a Taglib (very similar to Jakarta Taglib project), with that caracteristic.

A user could, for instance, make a <ca:input format="dd/MM/yyyy"/> and the generated input field would have an associated masking javascript (called on the 'onKeyPress' and 'onChange' methods of the input field), so the mask is applied WHILE the user types (not only on submission, as Validator does). This is an interesting UI "effect" for most users, and making it for every html field on every page is kinda boring...

I might be completely wrong, but the versions of Struts Validator I know don't have that capability. The question is just like that: is it on the plans of Struts framework? Was that ever tryed/discussed before? I think that would be a great add-on to the Struts Validator framework.

As I am currently developing that issue, I'd like to colaborate to the Struts project itself. That's the main reason for the qeustion: just have to know if it's interesting to all of you

regards,

At 12:13 9/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
First of all, questions like this are better asked on the "struts-user" list. This list is for issues related to the internal development of the Struts framework, not how to use it.

I would guess you would be looking for the "Validator" framework, which is a standard part of Struts (and has pieces that come from other packages). Read the online user guide and associated resources for information on using the Validator framework.