12/17/2002 2:31:52 PM, Erik Hatcher <jakarta-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Or  the evil action chaining keeping things available for you in
>a later action.

IMHO, Action chaining is linking three or more Actions together.
(e.g., three points determine a chaine :0) Simply forwarding from
one Action to another, so the second can select the page and
complete the response, is an ordinary and expected use of the
framework.

The "evil" part is when people start using the Action objects as
an API and want to pass (new) parameters from one Action to
another, either by changing the properties on the ActionForm or by
creating a new query string on the fly. The danger here is that
the Action *classes* become coupled and start looking like a mess
of "GOTO"s.

While there could be exceptions, this usually indicates that there
is not sufficient separation between the Action classes and the
business tier. Why? Because if I have a decent business facade, I
shouldn't have to kludge-around with setting new properties on an
ActionForm or as a request parameter. I should be able to code
directly to the business facade.

Now, none of this speaks to the current thread, I just wanted to
chime in about the Action Chaining. IMHO, Erik doesn't practice
Action Chaining, as the term was originally used, he simply links
from one Action to another, which is an expected practice.