.
>   Allow '8' as a valid decimal and hexadecimal digit... ;-)

You know, it's anal-rententive attitudes like this that have bogged down
this project for too long (major :-)  What can I say, it was the
booze...

BTW, I'm not sure that putting in a leading zero should force an octal
enforcement of a number that would otherwise be a valid decimal number
(i.e., 0342459893), in reading the Javascript docs, it seemed like it
would be handled as a decimal number unless it had a leading zero and no
non-octal digits.

James