Martin Cooper wrote:
I prefer this second approach, because then we're testing the real behaviour
of the tags in a real container. Using a mock approach makes me nervous
because of the intricacies of tag lifecycles, and I wouldn't feel as
confident that the tags would work in the real world just because they
worked in a mock environment. I too can live with the cost of page
compilation time, traded against a better assurance that the tags are being
properly tested.

I do, however, agree with David that we need to test the tags in isolation.
I have 0 experience with Cactus,

For the 1st. Method, Is there anyway you could harness the digester
to create a testing harness for the tags ?

The digester xml would populate the Mock session/request, and the Tags itself ?
It would even have the expected values from JUnit asserts.
That way the java code written hopefully could be minimized.

And new tests would be cut and paste of java code and some small
changes.

My preferred solution to this would be to use JSTL tags for the surrounding
logic, instead of Struts tags. Unfortunately, this would preclude testing
the tags in a JSP 1.1 environment. Personally, I'd be OK with that - having
the tests run only in a JSP 1.2 environment is still way better than having
+1