At 9:07 PM -0400 8/12/03, Byrne, Steven wrote:
I guess I have to reiterate what others have said earlier today: how do
you deal with handling or enforcing composition order?  I.e. are you
implicitly assuming/requiring that the various elements in the chain are
orthogonal with respect to changes in the input/output "stream" or
changes in state that other elements in the chain might have visibility
into?  Or do you assume that the composition order is part of the
interface specification, document accordingly, and hope that your
clients will read and follow the ordering specification?

Ted H more or less suggested this, but I think the way to go is to give each command an opportunity to validate any contract pre-conditions, like expecting certain beans to be defined in the context. You could even just leave this up to the command author to do in the main execute method, but it might promote good practice if it were explicitly in the API.

Joe
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time." --Jaron Lanier