On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:05:44 -0800, Nathan Bubna wrote:
> Martin Cooper said:
> ..
>> Another thought on this. When we get to Struts 2, I'd like to see
>> us remove all of the JSP-ness of Struts from the core, and also
>> add some degree of support for other presentation technologies,
>> such as XSLT and Velocity. So, instead of having 'taglib' where
>> it is in the above tree, we might want to do something like:
>>
>> struts/
>> presentation/ (or whatever name we want)
>> jsp/
>> taglib/
>> {others when we get to them}/
>>

> interesting.  i've wondered before if the VelocityStruts code (but
> not all of Velocity Tools, of course) might be better off in Struts
> land.  something to keep in mind i suppose.

At this point, I'd be in favor of that. :)

I originally encouraged setting up VelocityStruts under Velocity, since the  had a
broader base than Struts. (And projects like Maverick proved that to be so.)

Developing the Struts Toolset under Apache Struts might be a good idea now, especially
as we move into a 2.0 timeframe. I think exposure to the Velocity notion of Tools
would be a good thing for Struts developers.

Personally, I think it would be great if Velocity went TLP and brought N-Velocity in
under Apache. Especially now that HTTPD is moving toward adding .NET support.

But, that's just me.

>> Incidentally, where would Tiles land in all of this? In theory,
>> it's not tied to JSP, but rather to Servlets, so it might be
>> applicable to some other presentation technologies, but clearly
>> not all.
>>

> Tiles works great for us, and we are able to use it in such a way
> that we can mix and match JSP and Velocity tiles.  i definitely
> think Tiles can and should avoid dependence on any particular
> presentation technology.

Agreed. It might be a good idea of thinking of Tiles as a subproject, especially since
people may want to use it with JSF.