Wong Kok Wai wrote:

> A general question:
>
> I've noticed in the implementation of release method in the tags, there
> is always a call to super.release(). The exception being the template
> tags. My question is: is calling super.release() a best practise and
> why? If so, should the template tags also follow this practise?

If your class is a subclass of another, and you want to execute the superclass's
functionality along with your own (which is usually the case on release() in a
custom tag), then you should call super.release().

The template tags all extend TagSupport or BodyTagSupport, which *currently*
have do-nothing release() methods, but it would be good form to call
super.release() in these cases just in case functionality gets added there
later.  David, do you want to go ahead and make those changes?