----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: Request go ahead for structural changes in CVS

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Vincent Massol wrote:

(I'd
> > like to have a different CLASSPATH for each project)
> >

> It ought to work (I've never tried it), but Ant 1.2 and 1.3 have very nice
> capabilities to build classpaths up dynamically, so that you can use
> different classpaths for different compilations if you need to.
>
> On the more general point, however, I'd like to get to the point where we
> do not depend on anything in the developer's original CLASSPATH.

I completely agree. I have spent the day today changing the way I was using
Ant for J2EEUnit itself. Your suggestion works very well so far :
- I use a build.properties file
- I have installed Ant and have put all jars needed for it's core and
optional tasks in %ANT_HOME%/lib
- I have properties for the other jar files defined in my build.properties
file

> > > * The "build.properties" file would be unique to each developer's
> > >   environment (mine will even be different on Linux and Windows :-),
> > >   so it is *not* checked in to CVS.
> > >

> > Fine, but we should provide a sample one to help know what to put
inside. It
> > means we should also use lots of available tasks in the build.xml to
verify
> > that all needed properties related to directories are set to correct
paths.

> Absolutely.  IMHO the best place to document this is near the top of the
> build.xml file itself (which is where this file will be read if it
> exists).  I've tried to be pretty copious in documenting what external
> properties that build-webapps.xml and build-webapp.xml depend on, for
> example.  We'll also need to describe the (simple) syntax requirements.
>
> If we added a pointer to this in the README file, do you think that would
> be sufficient.

I think it would be fine but we also need to provide a
build.properties.sample file that gives an example (the same way it is done
in the jakarta-ant sources;they provide a ant.properties.sample file)

> > > * To avoid "?" messages from CVS, add "build.properties" to the
> > >   appropriate ".cvsignore" file.
> > >
> > > Note that the dependency on Ant would be that you have $ANT_HOME/bin
on
> > > your PATH in order to execute the builds by typing things like:
> > >
> > > ant compile.javadoc
> > >
> > > instead of saying
> > >
> > > ./build.sh compile.javadoc
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > fine. I'll try it on my computer. Although I hate going to DOS ... :) I
> > usually prefer having several batch files, even with a single line in it
> > This is actually what I have done for running the Struts build : one
> > directory above jakarta-struts, I have put the needed libraries and some
> > batch files ... :) I guess I'll have to change my way of doing things
... :)

> I also look forward to trying out Antidote (GUI that is being developed
> inside the Ant project) and an Ant mode for emacs, so I can do these kinds
> of things directly.

> > > OK

> > jakarta-struts/build
jakarta-struts/conf/test

> > > Can we make a practice of defining the corresponding properties in a
> > > build.properties file, as in the discussion above?
> > >
> > > tomcat.home=xxxx
> > > catalina.home=yyyy
> > > resin.home=zzzz
> > >

> > Yes.