From: Sukachevin, Stoehr
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 09:43 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Multiple ActionServlet instances in a web app

I completed the implementation of what I said I was going to do (see email
below), so if anyone is interested in seeing the code, get
"http://users.erols.com/sukachevin/struts/multi-struts-src.zip" (the
javadocs that were generated from the source are in
"http://users.erols.com/sukachevin/struts/multi-struts-javadocs.zip").

Please note that the "fix" tries to be as hands-off as possible w.r.t. the
original classes that are subclassed so that the "fixed" subclasses can
remain valid as the original classes evolve.  Keep in mind that the original
intent of these subclasses are to put into place a "patch" to support
multiple action servlet instances in the same web application.  While the
ideas behind this code as an ultimate fix to Struts remain valid, what you
see implemented here would not make sense to be used as-is for an ultimate
fix because of the hands-off approach that I took.  (Assuming that one liked
the ideas of the fix, then there would be better ways of implementing it by
modifying and enhancing the base classes of the various custom tags, for
example, rather than simply extending particular tags in a more hands-off
approach.)

The following is a summary of the ideas for the fix:

[1] We assume that as a default, only one action servlet instance will be
used in a web application.  Only if you want to deploy more than one
instance in a web app do you need to specify a little more information in
the web.xml file and your JSP files.

[2] To support multiple servlet instances, each instance needs to be
reference-able by a name.  For my implementation, I simply use the servlet
instance name that is specified in the web.xml file (a different
implementation could define a new servlet init parameter instead).

[3] For the Struts custom tags, a new attribute can be specified with a name
(see [2]) that tells which servlet instance the tag is related to.  If this
attribute is not specified for a given Struts tag, then the attribute value
of a Struts ancestor tag would be used as a default.  For my implementation,
the new attribute is called "context", and I actually do not make every
single Struts custom tag aware of this new attribute -- only the ones where
it is currently applicable and makes sense.  For example, the
<struts-html:form>, <struts-html:link>, or <struts-html:html> tag.

[4] One servlet instance can be marked as the default one so that tags only
need to specify the new attribute (see [3]) if they are related to a
different servlet instance than the default one.  For my implementation,
first of all, the action servlet you would deploy is
org.apache.struts.action.MultiActionServlet; second of all, you specify
"false" for the new "default" servlet init parameter of the servlet instance
(the parameter defaults to "true" if not specified because of [1]).  So if
you have a servlet instance that is the default one, then [3] is not
necessary for a JSP page that is related to the servlet since it is the
default one.

Using my "fix", you could do the following as an example:

[a] Deploy two action servlets in the web.xml file.  Use
"org.apache.struts.action.MultiActionServlet" as the servlet class and
specify "false" for the "default" init params of each servlet (we are not
going to use this feature of having a default for this example).  Remember
the servlet names you use for the two servlets -- for the sake of this
example, say you named the servlets "SubsystemOne" and "SubsystemTwo".  (See
[1], [2], and [4].)

[b] I've included in the "multi-struts-src.zip" file modified
"struts-bean.tld", "struts-html.tld", and "struts-logic.tld" files in the
"lib" directory -- they are actually called "struts-*-multi.tld" in the ZIP
file.  Use these "struts-*-multi.tld" tag libraries instead of the original
ones so that the subclasses I created will be used for the appropriate tags
instead of the original classes.  (Note is not a file for
"struts-template.tld" since my implementation of the fix did not have to
modify any of the tags in that library.)

[c] In a JSP file, assume that you are going to use some Struts tags that
are related to the second servlet called "SubsystemTwo".  Simply use the
<struts-html:html> tag and include the "context" attribute with the
"SubsystemTwo" value:  <struts-html:html context="SubsystemTwo"> .  All
Struts tags in the HTML tag will now be related to the "SubsystemTwo"
servlet.

[d] In another JSP file (this example is a little bit contrived), assume
that you are going to use two <struts-html:form> tags, but the first one is
related to the first servlet, and the second tag is related to the second
servlet.  In that case, you can include the appropriate "context" attributes
for the two <struts-html:form> tags individually:  <struts-html:form
name="x" context="SubsystemOne"> and <struts-html:form name="y"
context="SubsystemTwo"> .  (Alternatively, you could have <struts-html:html
context="SubsystemTwo">, <struts-html:form name="x" context="SubsystemOne">,
and <struts-html:form name="y">.  This would be equivalent to the first
case.)

-- Stoehr