"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Jonathan wrote:
>
> > Hello all.
> > It seems that there is a back log of documentation to do and I would like to
> > offer to help with it as I  am very good at explaining things. It also helps
> > me understand the framework in a deeper way.   However, because I am still
> > relatively green with Struts (3 months) I will need to correspond with some
> > of you outside of the list to get questions answered (I dont want to clutter
> > up the list with these questions).  I can complete sections according to
> > when you want them, or I can do it in the order I want.
> >

> Sounds great!  This is a good place to talk about what the docs should
> include.
>
> On my personal wish list:

Another nice item would be more info on the XMLs.  I've had to go through the DTD
files before to figure out what some attributes do.  A detailed description of
all tags and attributes for the struts-config.xml would be great.  Along with the
same for setting up the ActionServlet in the web.xml.

Alan Yackel
Creatrixs INC.

> [...]
>
> * Examples that integrate some other commonly available tag libraries
>   (such as those in jakarta-taglibs).  However, I'm not personally a
>   huge fan of using the DB tags, because it can encourage you to stray
>   away from MVC :-).
>
> * Step-by-step how to construct a web app.  Yes, this covers a lot of
>   ground that is not Struts-specific, but this would clear up a lot of the
>   complexity faced by new developers.  A good starting point might be the
>   "Application Developer's Guide" that ships with Tomcat (disclaimer:  I
>   wrote it, so don't be too hard on me :-).
>
> * Completed "package.html" files for the remaining packages (used as
>   Developer's Guide links in the documentation).
>
> * A comprehensive example that uses Data Acess Objects to talk to a
>   relational database.  Ted's got some good starts here, but I'm thinking
>   more about a "real" application -- perhaps something like the
>   FAQ-O-MATIC idea, but written based on Struts?
>
> * A comprehensive example that uses EJBs to delegate business logic to
>   session beans, and persistence logic to entity beans.  Obviously not
>   everyone will be able to run this, but you can at least look and see
>   how such an app could be constructed.
>
> A couple of things to think about before we start writing docs that will
> be out of date quickly:
>
> * I'm planning to migrate to jakarta-commons versions of the shareable
>   pieces of Struts that have migrated there, including:  Bean Utils,
>   Digester, DBCP (connection pool), Collections classes, and Message
>   Resources.  Docs are still welcome in all of these areas, but they
>   should probably be done in jakarta-commons instead of here.
>
> * The JSP Standard Tag Library will have an early access version of their
>   tags available in the near future.  There will be some significant
>   overlap with our tags in the struts-bean and struts-logic libraries,
>   and an expression language for nested property access that will be
>   similar to (but not identical) to ours.  We'll want to think in the
>   long run about making sure that Struts interoperates nicely with
>   these tags.  Because they will be standard, JSP page compilers will
>   be able to generate optimized code for them.
>
> * A little further down the pike, the result of the JavaServer Faces
>   (JSR-127) effort to create a standard GUI Component Model for web apps
>   will be in early access.  At that time, I'll want to build some app
>   examples that use JSF as the user interface, but interact with the
>   rest of the Struts framework.  NOTE:  I am on the expert group for
>   JSR-127, so you can rest assured that the two technologies will play
>   together nicely!
>
> > If this is ok with you all and you are interested, please send me an email
> > at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Let us all salute the Sixers on their valiant effort last night
> >

> I was rooting for them (being from Portland and a Trail Blazers fan, you
> can imagine how I feel about the Lakers :-).  Alas, it was a tremendous

begin:vcard
n:Yackel;Alan
tel;fax:301.656.7644
tel;work:301.656.1946
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.creatrixs.com
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:CTO
adr;quoted-printable:;;4915 St. Elmo Avenue=0D=0ASuite 501;Bethesda;MD;20814;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Alan Yackel
end:vcard