I think it is a matter of planning for the future.
Changing 10 pages of HTML may not be a big deal or
even a hundred, but as the site's documentation keeps
expanding it's easier to keep the documentation in XML
so Struts and other Jakarta projects can easily be
reformatted and released with a new look and feel with
minimal effort.  Maybe there will be a version of the
site for hand held devices one day.  With everything
in XML it would be feasible to do something like this.
 I would just work on it in plain text as Ted
suggested so you can get something together without
being distracted and then worry about adding the tags.

David