I don't think you should filter out unexpected
characters.  Java NumberFormat can let you handle how
someone from a locale would enter a number and then
convert it to a float or double.

USA we use 1,000.55 dollars.
   #,###.##

Brasil they use 1.000,55
   #.###,##

I think you should make the use put in a good value
(of course it is always up to the developer).  If some
leaned on the keyboard and put in
"3dddddddddddddddd.44", I would not want to assume
that it is 3.44.  And when you get into currency you
may have a minimum of $10 US dollars or 20,000 Lira so
I'm not sure how it helps to get them into the same
format except to save it, do a currency conversion, or
validate on rules for each currency.  It is a
complicated issue.  I always thought it was best to
save the amount, the currency, and the date so you can
calculate currency conversions if you need to, but
preserve the original user data for future
reference/calculations.

David

=== message truncated ===