From: Nick Afshartous [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 1:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: server-side, java-based validation rules for struts..

David Winterfeldt writes:
 > I don't think there would be anything wrong with your
 > idea, but I think it is a little more flexible keeping
 > the validation separate from the ActionForm.  I
 > started working on a validation framework, but I put
 > the info in an xml file.  I would rather change a
 > value in an xml file than having to recompile my code.
 >

 > * It makes the validation rules more accessible to
 > less technical people.  One day the XML might tie into
 > a JSP editing tool to provide easy access and editing
 > of the validation rules.

I've been thinking of doing something similar for
the logic rules associated with business objects.
For example, consider an Employee class where the
logic to calculate the bonus is based on some of the
other attributes of the object (i.e. jobcode, location).

It would be useful to define these rules in XML to
facilitate maintenance as you point out for validation
rules.
--

        Nick