Hello Martin,

Sunday, July 08, 2001, 4:55:56 AM, you wrote:

>> Is what I describe above within the scope of the event/listener
>> todo for 1.1?  I thought it might be, which is why I said
>> I was interested in tying the Extensions package into
>> the event/listener model work.

MC> I think this is a perfect candidate for the event/listener framework. The
MC> key is to decide what the interesting events are. This needs to be done
MC> outside the context of the current implementation as much as possible.

MC> What I mean by that is that we should not be looking at the code and saying
MC> "oh, there's an interesting method I'd like to hook into" so much as
MC> thinking "ah, it would be interesting to be told when this is about to
MC> happen or that has finished happening". If the code ends up needing some
MC> restructuring to accommodate that, then we should go ahead and make those
MC> changes.

MC> If we only look at the current implementation, then we will be looking with
MC> blinders on. There is a much greater risk that we will hinder the
MC> development of later extensions, by looking at what we have instead of
MC> thinking about what we really want.

Yes. Now I try implement first edition of such ServicesServlet in base
of ActionServlet code and insert calls to the Services to the main
(for my mind) processing points. I not venture to make core
refactoring of ActionServlet - I only insert calls to the external
services to the processPreprocess(), processValidate(), etc.