I am looking forward to the seeing indexed tags in the nightly build. Has a
commiter signed up to incorporate the indexed tag changes?

As for feedback on the code, I don't think it's appropriate to blow off the
whole tag without comment if the tag with indexed="true" is not nested in an
iterate tag. I think an exception should be thrown instead. If an exception
isn't thrown then something needs to be written to the log file.

change:
      IterateTag iterateTag = (IterateTag) findAncestorWithClass(this,
IterateTag.class);
      if (iterateTag == null)
      {
         // this tag should only be nested in iteratetag, if it's not, don't
do anything
         return EVAL_PAGE;
      }

to:
      IterateTag iterateTag = (IterateTag) findAncestorWithClass(this,
IterateTag.class);
      if (iterateTag == null)
      {
         // this tag must only be nested in an IterateTag when indexed
attribute is "true"
        throw new JspException(messages.getMessage("some.messagekey");
      }