There are a number of problems with deploying container-based security.
It's an important feature, but it doesn't seem like a panacea.

What I would suggest is that we look at Nic's proposal from the
viewpoint of being able to also implement FORM-based security, using the
standard Java packages.

Craig's mentioned that it's not possible to set the role programatically
when container-based security is used, presumably because the container
does it. But I've been wondering if it is possible to set it
programatically when the container does NOT use it. For example, could
the controller set the role for every request -- instead of the
container.

Roles are helpful, but I think many real-life applications also need to
look at groups and permissions. If we had a security framework that
worked with or without the container's help, it would be worthwhile to
build fine-grained security into other parts of Struts.

-Ted.

PS - In related news, the slides from Craig's BOF on authentification
are available for download at More About Struts (Star Office format).

< http://husted.com/about/struts/resources.htm#new >