The Struts 1.0 version of BaseTag.java starts like this:

========== cut here ==========
public class BaseTag extends TagSupport {

   /**
    * The message resources for this package.
    */
   protected static MessageResources messages =
      MessageResources.getMessageResources(Constants.Package +
".LocalStrings");
     /**
      * The target window for this base reference.
      */
     protected String target = null;
     public String getTarget() {
         return (this.target);
     }
     public void setTarget(String target) {
         this.target = target;
     }

As you can see, there is a getter and a setter for BaseTag. I don't know
why you're seeing the error, unless there's some older version of
struts.jat that's being picked up along with the newer taglib.

--
Martin Cooper