Arron Bates wrote:
> If you want to go this way, I've heard that there's a nesting extension
> to make this easier too.

So, the underlying purpose of the nested tags is to render the full
"path" to an element when it is situate on a nested bean. Given a
structure like

+Grandparent
++Parent
+++Child
----property

With properties like

grandparent.getName()
grandparent.getParents()

parent.getName()
parent.getChilds()

child.getName()
child.getAllowance()

We can write something like

<nested:nest property="grandparent">
  <nested:write property="name">
  <nested:iterate property="parents">
    <nested:write property="name">
    <nested:iterate propery="childs">
      <nested:write property="name">
      $<nested:text property="allowance">
    </nested:iterate>
  </nested:interate>
</nested:nest>

With visible output like

Lou
 Stu
  Tommy
   $1
  Dill
   $0
 Drew
  Angelica
   $10

And have Tommy's allowance element be represented in the HTML as

$<input type="text" name="grandparent[1].parent[1].child[1].allowance"
value="1">

When submitted back to the ActinForm, the BeanUtils will then walk this
path so that the allowance property for the first child element of the
first parent element of the first grandparent element (Tommy) is
updated.

And, it also allows for an abbreviated syntax, since the nested versions
of iterate look to the "enclosing" bean for its "name" property, as the
html form tags look to the ActionForm bean.

Given the support for indexed and nested properties, I can see that we
need a taglib like this to "close the loop". I take it that the
nested-taglib-src is ready to commit as is (it looks that way to me).

Meanwhile, are you updating a JDBC database from a bean like this?

I agree that this is a valid representation of a model, but most
developers need to persist something like this to a conventional
database.

We typically add a Developers Guide to a taglib, where we could put
notes about your serialization example, alogn with any notes on mapping
this back to a database.

Is anyone using an O/R tool that would work well with nested beans like
this?

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/