Martin,

Re: the prerequisites page - I was looking at the instructions in
build.properties.sample and build.xml. Those things weren't listed in there.
I guess I'd have expected a comment in the .sample file to create a property
like "xalan.home=<whatever>". So, I guess I'm suggesting that prerequisites
be mentioned there as well.

Yes, the <style> task is required. The TLD files are generated from XML
sources, and the <style> task in compile.library is doing that
transformation. If you remove that, you'll get a JAR file, but the Struts
taglibs won't work at all.
<<<

I think I picked up on that after looking at the "dist" directory. However,
I have no plans to use that taglibs, so this is OK for me.

For Ant 1.3, I replaced the JAXP 1.0 files in ant/lib with the ones for
JAXP 1.1, since otherwise there is a conflict between Ant using JAXP 1.0
and XalanJ 2.1.0 requiring JAXP 1.1. If Ant 1.4 ships with JAXP 1.1, then
you won't need to do this.
<<<

I'd suggest adding that info to the .sample file as well. Either that, or
have the .sample file be free of any comments other than a pointer to the
prerequisites page. I'll try an older version of Ant if I have problems, but
I think I've got what I need for my purposes.

Thanks again,

Donnie